header

header

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

If You Need A Laugh!

Well, I am going to give you a laugh at my own expense.  Let me just share a few "Melissa mishaps" that I have had today!   First off, we went back to Shaman Island this morning with our group & did a little more shopping (although now I've bought everything I wanted, so it was really just to break up the day & get out of this stinking hotel).  We ate at Lucy's Again :) & yes, I took another pic of my heavenly sweet tea (it's the little things that I miss, like sweet tea, the food network & HGTV)!  I'm so excited about my FULL DVR waiting for me back home!

Ok, now for the mishaps... We got back to the hotel at 1:30. We made Madison take a 30 minute rest time (because WE really need that) and then we decided to try the pool again.  This is the 4th time we have taken her to the pool with no luck. But today I told David I was just going to make her get in with me. So, we got there & I decided I would take her to the "kiddie" pool first to see if I could get her used to the water before I traumatized her in the big pool. :) She put her feet in & then I got in & sat down.  She sat in my lap and seemed to be happy, so then David got in with us and we were enjoying ourselves...until the hotel attendant came up to us laughing in broken English & said, "This is not for swimming! This is to wash your feet before you get in the pool. This water VERY dirty!"  (see pic below). I was mortified and so was David because of his hatred of feet!  So we got out & headed to the big pool & that's when I noticed that I had put Madison's bathing suit on backwards & she was now wearing a thong!!! I did not take a pic of this, because I just thought that would be wrong. So, that is how my day has been. Just another normal day in Guangzhou, China!  Just two more hours until bedtime which I'm really looking forward to tonight!



As for Madison, she is still eating very well. Food is very important to her. I think she isn't used to getting much, because if we leave any food on our plates she finishes ours too. The other day she had a bowl of dry Cheerios & when she was done there were only crumbs left in the bowl, so she got her water bottle, poured water into the bowl, swished it around & then drank EVERY crumb...it was so sad.  She will also do the same if she has ketchup left on her plate.  She gets a spoon & will eat every bite of it.


Speaking of dinner, it's about that time here so we are going to get ready and see what we are going to eat.  Someone said the pizza was really good here, so we might just do room service tonight.

As for prayer requests...just keep praying for good health, our continued bonding, and for a great day tomorrow.  Tomorrow we go to the Chinese Consulate in the morning and take an oath saying we will not abandon Madison, etc.  We will do this as a group, and it should be pretty quick.  Have a great day, and I hopefully I will have another post soon!

Melissa







3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry for laughing at you Melissa. That is just too funny. Of course, just being at that hotel, and seeing the photo, I knew where you were going with your update. LOL Oh poor David. I hope he was able to scrub the "feet water" off of him.

    I hope you have the same feelings at the consulate as we have had every time we've gone. It's the last official business you will do in China. And then you can go HOME! Knowing the kids will be a US citizen when you land in the US is priceless to me. I cried every time we said our oath.

    We're praying you guys home. Love & Hugs....

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is hilarious! I did feel a little bad for David, knowing about his dislike of all things feet! Just another day outside of both of your comfort zones! Isn't that what it's all about? I've been thinking about you and Madison and your whole family so much lately. I think it's a combination of the updates and praying. I also think many of the things I'm learning about in my Applied Behavior Analysis classes might be helpful for you when you get home if your interested. I know Madison doesn't have the same special needs as a child with autism, but I think it might help with the language gap. It's very functional in the day to day expectations, and because many kids with special needs do not understand what is being asked of them, you wouldn't have to understand English to get quick results, and English words could even be reinforced with ABA. I'm no expert, but I would love to help in any way if I can. So excited you are in the homestretch to heading home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That gives a whole new meaning to the term "foot bath". (Sorry, I couldn't resist) We're continuing to pray for you. I love all the updates. Hope we can get together once you're home and settled.

    ReplyDelete